View of the Dam with the Koninklijk Paleis and the Waag
By STOOPENDAAL, Daniel , 1700

Afbeeldinge van het Stadhuys, Nieuwe-Kerk, Waag etc. Tot Amsteldam. Plan ou veue, de la maison de ville d’amsterdam, poids de la ville eglise neuve et du dam.

  • Author: STOOPENDAAL, Daniel
  • Publication place: Amsterdam
  • Publisher: Nicolaas Vischer
  • Publication date: c1700
  • Physical description: Engraving with etching on two sheets joined.
  • Dimensions: 558 by 920mm. (22 by 36.25 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 14414


The Dam Square or Dam, is the principal square in Amsterdam. The view is taken from the west, with the Town Hall (now the Koninklijk Paleis or Royal Palace) to the left and the now demolished Waag (or Weighing House) at the centre. The sqaure originally faced onto the landing wharfs along Damrak, which at that time would have been busy with ships. The town hall was opened on 29 July 1655 by Cornelis de Graeff, the mayor of Amsterdam.The main architect was Jacob van Campen, who took control of the construction project in 1648. It was built on 13,659 wooden piles and cost 8.5 million gulden. As the Dam was principally a market square, with goods being unloaded from the Damrak, the Waag (weigh house) was essential to maintain the correct weights and measures of goods. The Waag was demolished in demolished in 1808 by order of Louis Bonaparte who, upon taking up residence in the newly converted Royal Palace, complained that his view was obstructed.

Daniël Stopendaal (1672-1726) was a Dutch artist and engraver. He was the son of the artist Bastiaen Stoopendaal.


  1. R.W.P. de Vries, auction, 1925: 290.