The Elephant and Castle
By FIELDING, Theodore, after POLLARD, James , 1826

The Elephant and Castle on the Road to Brighton.

  • Author: FIELDING, Theodore, after POLLARD, James
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: Published by J. Watson, 7 Vere Street
  • Publication date: Feb. 7th, 1826.
  • Physical description: Engraving with aquatint and hand-colour.
  • Dimensions: Image: 540 by 766mm (21.25 by 30.25 inches). Sheet: 626 by 815mm (24.75 by 32 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 12593


The Elephant and Castle Inn was a public house and busy staging post, probably deriving its name from the coat of arms of the Cutler’s Guild, which feature an elephant as a nod to the use of ivory in cutlery handles. It gives its name to the present area of London. There are a variety of vehicles going past the inn, including a private coach, stage coaches going to Bognor and Brighton, and a wagon.


  1. Museum of London 002039.