New Lion Brewery
By HUNT, G[eorge] after TURNER, F[rancis] C[alcraft] , 1836

View on the Thames Shewing Goding’s New Lion Ale Brewery, The Wharfs, Shot Factories, and the Lambeth end of Waterloo Bridge

  • Author: HUNT, G[eorge] after TURNER, F[rancis] C[alcraft]
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: Published by John Moore, corner of West Street St Martins Lane
  • Publication date: 1836
  • Physical description: Etching and aquatint with original hand colour.
  • Dimensions: Image: 398 by 619mm (15.75 by 24.25 inches). Sheet: 490 by 690mm (19.25 by 27.25 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 12375


Goding’s Brewery was built in 1836, to a design by Francis Edwards. The Goding family, headed by Thomas Goding, were one of the most successful brewing dynasties of the nineteenth century. The site was particularly desirable because there was a waterworks next door, which the Godings bought and incorporated into the brewery in 1853.

The brewery was eventually taken over by another brewing company, Hoare and Co., before being demolished. The Royal Festival Hall now stands in its place. The only trace of the original brewery is the large lion visible on the top of the building, made of artificial Coade stone. It now stands on the South Bank at the east end of Westminster Bridge.
Francis Calcraft Turner (1782-1846) was an English artist dealing predominantly in sporting scenes.

George Hunt together with his brother Charles (fl.1820-1870) were both highly skilled engravers who worked mainly on sporting scenes.


  1. BM 1880,1113.1379.