M is for Milliner
By SALTER, TF , 1793

TF Salter, Hat Maker

  • Author: SALTER, TF
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: At the Gold Laces Hat and Fame, 47 Charing Cross
  • Publication date: c1793-1843
  • Physical description: Engraved trade card.
  • Dimensions: 150 by 90mm. (6 by 3.5 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 17939


Born in 1762 or 1763, Thomas Frederick Salter was a successful milliner who ran several shops in London during the late eighteenth century and first half of the nineteenth. His trade card presents the shopfront his longest-standing premises at 47 Charing Cross, its windows full of a variety of hats, most apparently made for men, and its sign surmounted by a statue of an angel. At the top of the card a vignette offers a glimpse into the process of hat making, showing a. team of men working on different elements of the manufacturing process.

In 1793, ‘Wakefield’s Merchant and Tradesman’s General Directory for London’ listed Salter and Co. as Hat Manufacturers at 47 Charing Cross. Twenty years later, The Post Office directory for 1812 had Salter & Woolbert at the same address, and T.F. Salter alone just two years later in 1814. Thomas Frederick Salter appears again at number 47, as well as 24 Aldgate, in the Post Office directory of 1843, indicating a career of at least 50 years. The Sun Fire Office records that Salter was insured at 24 Aldgate in 1837, and that the year before he had also been insured at 20 Great Russell Street. The success of his business is also indicated by the investments he made in other industries, including one sixth of a share in Fulham Bridge for £300 in 1834.

As well as his role as a hatter, Salter also achieved great success with his two books on fishing, ‘The angler’s guide’ (1814) and ‘The Troller’s Guide’ (1820), with a second extended edition of the latter appearing in 1830.

Image gallery