The South West Prospect of London From Somerset Gardens to the Tower
- Author: BOWLES, Thomas after BOWLES, Thomas and MELLISH, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for John Bowles & Son at the Black Horse in Cornhill
- Publication date: 1750.
- Physical description: Etching and engraving with contemporary hand colour.
- Dimensions: 325 by 465mm. (12.75 by 18.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12395
A charming view of the River Thames, filled with vessels. The ship to the right in the foreground is flying Dutch colours, possibly one of the Dutch ships that stayed moored in the Thames and provided Londoners with eels.
St Paul’s Cathedral, the Monument, and the spires of the city’s churches are visible on the left bank.
A later impression was published by Carrington Bowles.
- BL Maps K.Top.21.44.a
- BM 1880,1113.1198 (later impression, uncoloured).
4 Bury Street, St James’s,
PO Box 329, Larchmont, NY, USA
Opening hours, London Gallery
Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 18:00
Saturday: by appointment
Closed: all bank holidays and 1-31 August
We are closed from 17:00 on Thursday 22nd December 2022, and reopen at 10:00 on Tuesday 3rd January 2023.
Opening hours, New York
By appointment only