Richard Morrison, Jeweller & Goldsmith, ... Successor to Mr. Stafford Briscoe, Continues to make it his particular Business to Deal in all sorts of New & Second-Hand Plate, Watches & Jewels, of which he has Constantly the Greatest variety, and is determined to sell (as formerly) at lower prices than Common and Likewise to Give the most money for any Quantities of Old Plate, Watches, Jewels, Pearls, & Colour’d Stones of all Kinds, by Reason of the great Demand he has for the same. NB. The full Value given for Pawn’d Plate, Watches, Jewells, &c Buys and Sells for ready Money only.
- Author: MORRISON, Richard
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: at his Old Sop N:15 the Three Kings & Golden Ball, opposite Forster Lane, in Cheapside,
- Publication date: from 1780
- Physical description: Engraved trade card
- Dimensions: (sheet) 210 by 165mm (8.25 by 6.5 inches); (plate) 190 by 140mm (7.5 by 5.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17850
Richard Morrison had joined Stafford Briscoe (c1711-1789) in his business in Cheapside, where he had operated with his father from the 1740s, in 1762. They were in business together until 1780 when Briscoe appears to have retired to a large property at Cross Deep in Twickenham. He is recorded as selling some land to Horace Walpole in 1775. Morrison continued in business until 1783.
Morrison’s trade card retains the language of that he had shared with Briscoe, but the design is far more elaborate, being surrounded by an asymmetrical rococo cartouche resplendent with examples of his wares: urns, babies’ rattles, tankards, jeweled pendants, coffee pots, tureens, watches, and cutlery.
- BM Heal 67.286