Vue Perspective du Marché aux Fleurs a Londres
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: chez Jacques Chereau rue St, Jacques au defous de la Fontaine St. Severin aux 2 Colonnes No.257
- Publication date: c.1760-70
- Physical description: Engraved print with contemporary colour.
- Dimensions: 317 by 505mm. (12.5 by 20 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14803
A perspective view of the Covent Garden Market. Covent Garden hosted one of the largest markets in London, selling fruit, vegetables and flowers. By night, however, it was a noted red light district. These perspective views, or vues d’optique, were popular in Europe during the eighteenth century. They were viewed through lenses to give the illusion of a deeper perspective, enhanced by the deep vanishing point and bright colour of the original print.
- Yale B1977.14.15819.
4 Bury Street, St James’s,
PO Box 329, Larchmont, NY, USA
Opening hours, London Gallery
Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 18:00
Saturday: by appointment
Closed: all bank holidays and 1-31 August
We are closed from 17:00 on Thursday 22nd December 2022, and reopen at 10:00 on Tuesday 3rd January 2023.
Opening hours, New York
By appointment only