John S. Deed & Sons, Leather Manufactures & Merchants Morocco, Roan, Skiver, Calf, & Chamois Leather Dressers. Manufacturers of Sheep & Lamb Skin Wool Rugs, Cocoa Mats, Matting &c Curriers of Coach Harness & Shoe Leather.
- Author: DEED, John Simpkin
- Publication place: London, W.C.
- Publisher: Warehouse, 451, New Oxford Street
- Publication date: after 1867
- Physical description: Lithographed trade card.
- Dimensions: 155 by 115mm (6 by 4.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17777
Winning “Prize Medals, London 1851, New York 1853, Paris 1855, London 1861, Paris 1867”, John Simpkin Deed (c1809-1892) was the proprietor of a leather emporium at the corner of New Oxford and North Audley Streets. Deed is first recorded as a leatherseller by the Sun Fire Office in 1834, at 10 Little Newport Street. It appears that he later took his sons into partnership, operating John S. Deed & Sons from 451 New Oxford Street.
The present trade card, which was made in the later half of the nineteenth century, shows a vignette set at the Deed Warehouse, beneath which the many leather goods on offer are advertised. Upon his death in 1892, Deed was living in Finchley Road and had four servants in his employ; his heirs continued to operate the leather business from a different address on New Oxford Street. The company was listed as an exhibitor at the British Industries Fair as late as 1947.