By BROWNE, Christopher , 1735
A New Mapp of the Kingdom of England shewing Its Antient and Present Government being Divided as in the Saxon-Heptarchy also in the Diocesis, Judges-Circiutts and Countyes Describing all the Citys, Market Towns, Parishes and many of ye Villages, Nobile & Gentlemens Seats the Roads and Distances in Measured Miles according to Mr Ogilby Survey with many other Additions and Corrections not Extant in any other Mapp. To His Hignnesse the Duke of Cumberland. This Map is most humbly Dedicated & Presented By his Highness most humble Servants Robt. Sayer and Tho: Bowles. 1735.
- Author: BROWNE, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed and Sold by Robert Sayer Map and Print Seller over against St. Dunstans Church in Fleet Street, & Tho. Bowles Map & Print Seller, next to the Chapter house in St. Paul's, Church Yard
- Publication date: 1735 [but c.1760].
- Physical description: Large engraved wall map, dissected and mounted on linen, elaborate title cartouche upper right, the explanation to map lower right, slightly age-toned.
- Dimensions: 1665 by 1694mm. (65.5 by 66.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1990
Christopher Browne’s monumental wall map of England and Wales.
Christopher Browne (fl.1688-1712) was apprenticed to Robert Walton and after his death in 1688 took over his stock. He was not prolific with his production and all material associated with him is scarce. The largest item we know of is this wall map on 15 sheets. The map was first issued by Browne in 1700. The work is hugely detailed depicting cities, town, villages, gentlemen’s seats; roads (according to Ogilby) are marked with distances; as are the boundaries of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, counties, dioceses, and judges’ circuits. To the sea crossed swords and a small banner give the location and date of significant naval battles.
The map would prove to be hugely popular being reproduced several times throughout the first half of the eighteenth century. Several examples are known with both his St Paul’s address and that of the Royal Exchange. After 1712 the plates past to Philip Overton and Thomas Bowles. The present map is an example of the final printing of around 1760, by Robert Sayer and Thomas Bowles.
Ownership label of Chevalier de Fleurieu (1738–1810) who was a French explorer, hydrographer and politician. He was Minister of the Navy under Louis XVI, and a member of the Institut de France, as well as the brother of the botanist Marc Antoine Louis Claret de la Tourette.
- Shirley Browne 2 state 7.