A Topographical Map of the Town of Reading & the Country adjacent to the Extent of Ten Miles; Describing the Main and Cross Roads; also the Seats and Parks of the Nobility and Gentry; The Towns, Parishes, Hamlets, Tithings, Villages, Farms, Rivers, Brooks, Woods, Hills, Valleys, Heaths, Commons, and every remarkable Place within the Survey: Taken by Thos. Pride Land-Surveyor. To the Right Honourable William Lord Craven, Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum, &c., &c. of the County of Berks, This Map is Inscribed by his Lordship’s most Obedient Servant Thomas Pride.
- Author: PRIDE, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published as the Act directs, by T. Pride
- Publication date: July, 24th, 1790.
- Physical description: Second edition. Engraved map, on four sheets joined, dissected and mounted on linen, original hand-coloured in outline, subscribers coats-of-arms to left and right margin, housed in slipcase.
- Dimensions: 690 by 905mm (27.25 by 35.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12020
The map covers the area from Streatley and Aldermaston in the west to Bagshot and Maidenhead in the east and from Marlow and Nettlebed in the north to Sandhurst in the south. It is a well detailed large-scale survey as described in the title with two restrained cartouches for the title and dedication. The latter is to William Lord Craven, Lord Lieutenant of the County of Berkshire. An important feature of the map is the River Thames which winds its way across the top of the map from Mountford to Taplow and Monkey Island and shows the numerous towns villages adjacent to the river. These, like all settlements on the map, are laid out ichnographically and give a good indication of their relative importance. If Marlow, Henley and Reading dominate there is still much of interest in the smaller places such as Whitchurch, Pangborne, Streatley, and Goring. Surrounding the map in the side margins are 41 coats-of-arms “of such Subscribers as were received in time, are engraved in order they came to hand”, but they were not keyed to any residence on the map.
The first edition of the map lacked Hands Farm, Kings Mead and the Village of Woodcott. In the second edition apart from these inclusions numerous place names and road directions were enlarged and strengthened, woodland symbols were added and some of the coats-of-arms were ammended.
Thomas Pride (fl. 1758-1797) was a surveyor based in Bloomsbury in London.
Rare we are only able to trace three institutional examples: the British Library; The Royal Geographical Society; and Cambridge University Library.
Scale: 1.5 inches to one statute mile.
- Rodger 18.