Plan of the India & Millwall Docks 1916
- Author: PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY
- Publication place: London
- Publication date: 1916.
- Physical description: Hand-coloured lithograph map, dissected and mounted on linen.
- Dimensions: 682 by 776mm. (26.75 by 30.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13921
The West and East India Docks were opened in 1802 and 1803 respectively, after lobbying by merchants and shipowners. The trade with the West and East Indies was seasonal, and it was imperative that cargoes were transferred quickly. Congestion in the Port of London meant that was not the case. They closed in 1980 and 1967.
Millwall Dock was built in 1868. The waste from the construction of the dock formed an area of wasteland known as Mudchute. At the time of this map, the southern area of the Isle of Dogs was still a transporter yard – it would later become Mudchute and Millwall Park.
The northern area of the docks around Canary Wharf has now been developed into a business district.
The Port of London Authority was formed in 1909. It was prompted by a series of industrial actions by dock workers, including their demand for the ‘Docker’s Tanner’, a wage of 6d. an hour, in 1889. The Port was a vital part of the British economy: refining and processing industries grew up around goods brought in to the docks and it was the centre of British shipbuilding and repair. The PLA continues to supervise and manage the Port of London, the docks, and the London stretch of the River Thames. This map was issued from the former PLA headquarters in Trinity Square.