Pascaarte vande Noord Oost Cust van Asia verthoonende in sich alle de Zee-custen van Tartarien, van Japan tot Nova Zemla alles op Wassende graaden geleght.
- Author: KEULEN, Johannes van
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: By Joannes van Keulen Boeck-verkooper en Graad-boogh-maacker, aende Nieuwe-brugh, in de gekroonde Lootsman
- Publication date: c1680
- Physical description: Double-page engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 520 by 595mm (20.5 by 23.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15784
One of the first sea charts of north-east Asia, illustrating how little was known of the region. It shows from Novaya Zemlya in northern Russia, along the coast of Siberia (with few promontories and one one large island) past the mythical ‘Land of Ezo’ and ‘Companies Land’ to Japan, Korea and Zhoushan in China. There are no signs of Hokkaido, Sakhalin, Kamchatka or the Bering Strait, as the chart predates the explorations of Vitus Bering by nearly fifty years and James Cook by nearly a century.
Johannes van Keulen (1654-1715) was a Dutch maritime publisher.
4 Bury Street, St James’s,
PO Box 329, Larchmont, NY, USA
Opening hours, London Gallery
Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 18:00
Saturday: by appointment
Closed: all bank holidays and 1-31 August
We are closed from 17:00 on Thursday 22nd December 2022, and reopen at 10:00 on Tuesday 3rd January 2023.
Opening hours, New York
By appointment only