Norfolk - Manuscript plan of lands owned by Caius College in South Runcton
By BURCHAM, Cha[rles] , 1820

Plan of an Estate belonging to the Master and Fellows of Caius College Cambridge situated in the Parishes of South Runcton and Holme.

British Isles English Counties
  • Author: BURCHAM, Cha[rles]
  • Publication place: Lynn
  • Publication date: 1820.
  • Physical description: Manuscript plan, pen and ink on paper, ink stains and some loss to lower right, mounted on cloth.
  • Dimensions: 330 by 440mm (13 by 17.25 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 12850


Fine and detailed manuscript plan of the lands owned by Caius College Cambridge in the village of South Runcton.

The Runcton and Holme estate was gifted by John Caius, the founder of the college, in the year 1558, in order to provide an income for the college. The estate was originally the property of the the Abby of Bury St Edmunds, and after the dissolution of the monasteries, in 1539, the estate passed to the crown, from whom Caius purchased the land.

The present plan is drawn by Charles Burcham, a local surveyor working in King’s Lynn. A key to the left hand side of the plan lists 45 places and provides their acreage and whether the land is arable or pastoral. To the upper right a fine cartouche depicts the god Mercury resting on an urn and holding up a large stone slab bearing the plan’s title.

Scale: 100 chains to three-quarters of an inch.


Ownership inscription of H.C. Peacock, a resident of South Runcton in the 1930s.