Johnson's Japan Nippon, Kiusiu, Sikok, Yesso and the Japanese Kuriles (N°113).
- Author: COLTON, Joseph Hutchins
- Publication place: New York
- Publisher: A. J. Johnson
- Publication date: c1865
- Physical description: Hand-coloured lithograph map, inset map of Yesso and the Japanese Kuriles, and Nagasaki, text to verso, loss and a few tears to lower margin, effecting image.
- Dimensions: 350 by 425mm (13.75 by 16.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15868
Johnson’s map of Japan published in ‘Johnson’s New Illustrated Family Atlas’.
First published by Joseph Hutchins Colton in 1856 in ‘Colton’s Atlas of the World’, the present map bears the imprint and name in the title of Alvin Jewett Johnson. It would appear that the cash-strapped Colton, in 1859, franchised his cartographic plates to Johnson, and his partner Ross C. Browning in return for some degree of financial support. The plates were later transfer to lithographic plates, by Johnson, in order to dramatically increase production.
4 Bury Street, St James’s,
PO Box 329, Larchmont, NY, USA
Opening hours, London Gallery
Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 18:00
Saturday: by appointment
Closed: all bank holidays and 1-31 August
We are closed from 17:00 on Thursday 22nd December 2022, and reopen at 10:00 on Tuesday 3rd January 2023.
Opening hours, New York
By appointment only