Cornwall - One of the most important maps of Cornwall
By MARTYN, Thomas , 1784
Sold

A New and Accurate Map of the County of Cornwall from an Actual Survey Made by Thos. Martyn. To His Royal Highness Frederick Lewis Prince of Wales; Electoral Prince of Brunswick, Lunenburgh, Duke of Cornwall and Rothsaye, Duke of Edinburgh, Marquis of the Isles of Ely, Earl of Chester and of Eltham, Viscount Launceston, Baron of Snaudon and of Renfrew, Lord of the Ilses, and Steward of Scotland, and Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter; This Map is most Humbly Inscrib’d By His Royal Highness’s Most Dutiful Servant, Thomas Martyn.

British Isles English Counties
  • Author: MARTYN, Thomas
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: Printed for William Faden, Geographer to the King, Charing Cross
  • Publication date: Feby. 20th 1784.
  • Physical description: Large-scale engraved map, printed on nine irregular-sized sheets, fine original outline hand-colour, disseced and mounted on linen, coats-of-arms of 164 subsribers, dedication within elaborate cartouche, key to map, and inset of the Scilly Isles, folding into original blue paper slipcase, with manuscript label, rubbed and scuffed.
  • Dimensions: 1360 by 1800mm (53.5 by 70.75 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 1389

Notes

The map was first published in 1748. The decoration includes an elaborate dedicatory cartouche to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, a “Scale of Miles” in a formal framework and the coats-of-arms of the 164 subsribers. There is a large inset of the Isles of Scilly on the same scale but “which could not be placed in their proper position without making the map too greater length”. In the “Explanation of Symbols Uses”, surrounded by a plain floral border “Towns are shown by their ichnography or Ground Plot, and borough towns have a B added to them”, whilst small symbols differentiate between churches, with tower or steeple, seats of the nobility, villages and farmhouses. With most travel at the time on foot or on horseback special attention is given to the roads, indicating whether “a lane, road over a common, or road with hedge”. Further detail includes tin copper, and lead mines, hills commons, rivers and parks, hundreds and divisions of the county. To the upper right of the map is a beautiful compass rose incorporating a view of a surveyor at work.

The present map bears the imprint of William Faden and is dated 1784. Although the map was published by Robert Sayer in 1748 it was not included in his catalogue of 1775, so one must conclude that the maps passed to Faden at some point before 1775.

Scale: 1 inch to 1 statute mile.

Bibliography

  1. Rodger 57.
/