Cary's large plan of London
By CARY, John & George , 1826

Cary's New Plan of London and Its Vicinity, 1847.

British Isles London
  • Author: CARY, John & George
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: Pulished by G. & J. Cary, No. 86 St. James's Street
  • Publication date: Jan. 1st, 1847.
  • Physical description: Engraved plan, fine original outline hand colour, dissected and mounted on linen, housed within original green marbled paper slipcase, with publisher's label, rubbed.
  • Dimensions: 660 by 830mm (26 by 32.75 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 2457


The map extends north to south from Kentish Town to Camberwell, and from west to east from Hyde Park to the West India Docks. The city of London is outlined in red. To the west extensive building work is shown in St John’s Wood, together with the site of the Lords Cricket Ground, which had moved to St John’s Wood Road from is original location on Dorset Square, in 1814. Numerous bridges are shown spanning the Thames, with the proposed Lambeth Bridge, construction of which was not started until 1860.

Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes. His atlas, ‘The New and Correct English Atlas’, published in 1787, became a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s ‘New Itinerary’ (1798); a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley.


  1. Howgego 279 intermediate state between states (14) and (15).