History of the British Colonies…
- Author: MARTIN, Robert Montgomery
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Cochrane and M'Crone
- Publication date: 1834-1835.
- Physical description: 6 volumes: 5 text volumes, one atlas volume. Octavo, 9 folding engraved maps, 17 full-page maps, all with contemporary hand-colour in outline, some backed on linen, folding letterpress table; contemporary full tan calf, gilt.
- Dimensions: 220 by 130mm. (8.75 by 5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 16339
First edition. Martin (1800-1868) travelled the world from an early age. He lived in Ceylon, the east coast of Africa, Sydney and Parramatta in New South Wales, Calcutta, Hong Kong, and Ireland. “At a time when some questioned the value of the empire, Martin was its spokesman. He favoured a reformed colonial policy and, as a proprietor of the East India Company (1838–43), debated both at India House and through journal articles… Martin, however, had a ready pen and his importance lies primarily in his chronicling of empire and his exposition of political and social issues, particularly in the context of non-Ricardian economics. The very diversity of his activities and writings—267 printed works and 580 surviving unpublished letters and memoranda—underlines his significance” (Frank H.H. King ODNB).
The nine folding maps include: ‘Political Map of India’, ‘West India Islands’, ‘British Possessions in North America’, ‘New Brunswick and Nova Scotia Land Company’, ‘Prince Edward Island’, ‘…Townships in the Province of Upper Canada’, ‘…Eastern Townships of Lower Canada’, ‘British Possessions in Africa and Australia’, and ‘British Possessions in Europe’.
1. Armorial bookplate of Charles Tebbut.
2. Late nineteenth/early twentieth century armorial bookplate.
- Sabin 44910.