Journal of the Proceedings on board the Honourable East-India Company's Ship Earl of Balcarras. Sixth Voyage towards Bengal and China.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for, and Published by, Steel, Goddard, & Co. Chartsellers (by Appointment) to the Honourable Boards of Admiralty, Trinity House, East-India Company &c. at their Navigation-Warehouse and Naval Academy, No. 70, Cornhill, near the Royal-Exchange, removed from Tower Hill.
- Publication date: n.d.
- Physical description: Folio (380 by 240mm), title, 4 fl. ruled list of crew and passengers, 4 fl. log in mss., 84 fl. journal of the outward bound and return journey, each leaf with printed table for the noting of course and daily remarks, name of logs compiler cut from title-page, original vellum over boards, rubbed and scuffed.
- Inventory reference: 1623
The log begins with a list of the 144 strong crew headed by the Commander Peter Cammeron; 29 passengers; 50 troops which include women and children; and 16 Chinese Charter Party passengers. The journal commences on the 9th December 1825 in the East India Export Dock, giving way to the Sea log on February 10th off the Kent coast, the intervening period having been spent in receiving cargo, mainly for the Honourable Company’s account, with some for the Captain’s private account, these included, stores, woollen goods, provisions, 10 fathoms of billet wood, water etc.
After two weeks at Falmouth the ship sails on March 4th arriving in Calcutta on the 26th June where she unloaded a great deal of cargo and took on passengers, more cargo and stores. She weighed anchor on the 15th August for China arriving at Whampoa Reach on the 15th of October where tea was taken on almost daily. Upon the return journey which began on the 29th December, the ship was severely damaged in a monsoon and has to anchor off Pulau. The journal ends on the 4th May while still 360 miles from the Lizard.
The Earl Balcarras was built at the Bombay Dockyards for the East India Company. She was built of teak; with a tonnage of 1417 bm; dimensions of 139 by 43 by 17 ft; required 130 crew and had 26 cannon. She was launched on the 25th March 1811; with her first voyage from England made on the 17th April 1816. She made 9 voyages to India and China between the years 1816 and 1833. Of which eight of the voyages were commanded by Peter Cameron. In 1834 she was sold to Thomas Shuter for £10,709 and continued to make regular voyages to the East. In 1848 she was sold to Somes Bros.; and in 1863 she came under the ownership of the African Steam Shipping Company and used as a hulk on the west coast of Africa. In 1875 she was sold for breaking up.