View along the Prinsengracht from the Reestraat to the Westerkerk
By SCHENK, Leonard; [after] RADEMAKER, Abraham , 1720

Gesicht Van De Groen-Markt, Van De Ree Sluys Te Sien naar de Wester Kerk tot Amsterdam. Conspectus Fori oleris a cervae cataracta vesus Templum Occidentale, Amstelodami.

  • 作者: SCHENK, Leonard; [after] RADEMAKER, Abraham
  • 出版地: Amsterdam
  • 出版商: Jan Schenk
  • 发布日期: 1720
  • 物理描述: Engraving with etching, on two sheets joined.
  • 方面: 557 by 955mm. (22 by 37.5 inches).
  • 库存参考: 14411


Prinsengracht (Prince’s Canal) is the fourth and the longest of the main canals in Amsterdam. It is named after the Prince of Orange. The majority of the houses along it were built in the seventeenth century during the Dutch Golden Age. Notable buildings along Prinsengracht include the Noorderkerk (Northern Church), the Noordermarkt (Northern Market), Anne Frank House, and the Westerkerk (West Church).

The present view looks along the canal from the Reestraat to the Westerkerk. The Westerkerk was built between 1620 and 1631 in Renaissance style according to designs by architect Hendrick de Keyser (1565-1621).The building of the Westerkerk was finished and completed by his son Pieter de Keyser (1595-1676) and inaugurated on June 8, 1631. The church remains to this day the largest purpose built Protestant churches in The Netherlands.

Leonard Schenk (fl.1720-1746) an Jan Schenk (1698-1752) were brothers working as engravers and publisher’s in Amsterdam.

Abraham Rademaker (1677 – 21 January 1735) was an 18th-century painter and printmaker from the Northern Netherlands. Rademaker was born in Lisse. According to the RKD he was a versatile artist who painted Italianate landscapes, but is known mostly for his many cityscapes and drawings of buildings that were made into print.